Let's Talk About: Anaemia

For a very long time now, I have struggled with tiredness and lack of energy. Probably for longer now than I can remember. It's not as bad now but for the past year or so, my tiredness and energy just had hit rock bottom. It got to the stage where I couldn't concentrate at school, I would zone out constantly because I just had no energy and I struggled to get out of bed in the mornings (what most teenagers struggle with). My teachers were highly concerned as all my grades were dropping majorly. My anxiety did play a large part in exams, as I don't do exams in the hall because of my anxiety. But my mum decided enough was enough, and took me to the doctors. After 4 samples of blood were sent off to the hospital for testing, the results came back.

The doctors had tested me for multiple conditions that would cause tiredness and lack of energy like thyroid problems, lack of vitamin D and anaemia - just to name a few. Every result came back negative, however my iron levels came back very low. My doctor said that normal iron levels are supposed to be anywhere between 10 and 300, and mine were 15. This was the reason I was so tired.

Now, my iron levels are within the normal region, however, as I've had major problems with my periods in the past years and been on multiple medications for the blood (TMI sorry!), the doctors have said that I am in a lot of danger of becoming anaemic pretty soon if I don't look after myself.

Being a vegetarian, it's hard to get all the iron I need from fish and red meat, however I try to get as much egg, beans, dried fruit and rice into my diet as possible. My tiredness and energy levels haven't seem to have improved a lot recently since my blood test but with medication for my periods and a diet with iron incorporated as much as possible, I hope to get better in time!

This was a lot more personal post than what I would usually do but I hope you don't mind!


Daisy x

6 comments :

  1. I hope you get better soon Daisy! These posts are definitely personal but it is good to share things with the internet as there are people out there that can help :) I wish you luck with the medication x

    eleanorclaudie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow I had no idea. I hope you feel better love and I'm so impressed with your strength
    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better soon! do you take vitamin b12? it doesn't really help me but my mum noticed a huge difference in taking it, good luck xx
    theditsyblogger.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't, but I'll definitely research into it! Thank you xx

      Delete